UPDATE: Massive cracks open up in clifftop road
Chasm widens as one carriageway of Old Beer Road collapses - residents call for safety fencing to keep people away
Cracks in a clifftop road at Seaton have dramatically widened overnight
The Old Beer Road was closed yesterday (Thursday) after local residents warned it was in imminent danger of collapsing into the sea.
Highways engineers have shut it to traffic while they assess the situation.
Local resident Bob Spalding said today (Friday): “There has been more movement overnight.
You may also want to watch:
“I feel that there should be a construction site type fence around it to keep people away but let pedestrians through.”
Mr Spalding fears the road will eventually collapse.
- 1 Premier League contract for local footballer
- 2 'We have to look forward and make Jurassic Centre success it deserves to be'
- 3 A special remembrance service in Seaton
- 4 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 5 Museum exhibition offers a glimpse into wartime life
- 6 Judith is miles ahead in climate change action campaign
- 7 Much-loved public parks given the green flag
- 8 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 9 Five Things to do in East Devon this October half Term
- 10 Turkish delight for Axe Valley Runner
He said: “It’s going to go. It is right next to the cliff edge and when you look back from Beer you can see some of the shrubbery is falling away and it is beginning to go.
“My main concern is that it could go at any time and anyone in the vicinity could go with it.”