UPDATE: Motive unknown for armed attack
Detectives following a number of lines of enquiry. Residents told to carry on as normal but be vigilant. No descriptions of offenders.
DETECTIVES leading a hunt in Honiton for armed raiders who attacked a family in their own home say a motive for the shocking incident is unclear.
A statement issued by Devon and Cornwall Constabulary this afternoon said: “Police continue to follow a number of lines of enquiry, although a motive at this time is not yet clear.”
Detectives are still waiting to get a full account from the victims, who are a couple in their early sixties and a man in his mid-thirties.
A detective was at their home at lunchtime today when The Midweek Herald called. The family said police had told them not to speak to the press.
You may also want to watch:
Neighbours, however, were concerned for their safety and were shocked by what had happened.
A police spokesman said: “At this time police are unable to provide a description of the suspects, other than they were two men.”
- 1 Old Webster's site car park to be re-opened and run by council
- 2 Property of the Week: Sidmouth Road, Rousdon
- 3 Wednesday's Budget and how it might help those struggling in Devon this winter
- 4 New plan to build East Devon back better after the pandemic
- 5 Hippos beaten by a penalty at Okehampton
- 6 Volunteers unite again to launch Operation Rudolph
- 7 New exhibition for well known local ceramicist
- 8 Councils across Devon to provide training to boost business
- 9 Teacher who threw himself into village life in retirement
- 10 Colyton cyclist at age 82 rides the Gridiron 100 for Parkinson's UK
Detective Inspector Sally Crabtree, who is leading the investigation, said: “This is a protracted enquiry and it is still very early in the investigation.
“We would like to appeal to anyone who has information or saw something unusual around the time of the incident to contact us.”
DI Crabtree added: “Local police are making additional high visibility patrols in the area and there is nothing to suggest local residents should stop doing what they would normally do. This is thought to be an isolated incident which is very unusual for East Devon. I would urge local people to go about their normal daily business but remain vigilant and report anything unusual to us straightaway.”
Do you know who the armed raiders are? Call police on 08452 777444, quoting police reference 118 100111, Alternatively, call Crimestopppers, anonymously on 0800 555111.