Uplyme flood works get under way
- Credit: Archant
Some road closures will be necessary during the 12-week project
Work on a flood improvement scheme in Uplyme has started.
The £250,000 scheme involves the installation of a series of new culverts to carry flood water away from the village centre which faces the greatest risk of flooding.
These culverts will be located through Uplyme village hall car park, an overflow culvert will run next to the main culvert under the B3165 Lyme Road, as well as a flood relief culvert under Pound Lane and other minor improvements.
Work is expected to take around 12 weeks, with Lyme Road closed from Monday, March 5, for two weeks, followed by the closure of Pound Lane from Friday March 30, initially for two weeks, with the closure moving further up the hill towards Lime Kiln Lane as work progresses.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Roger Croad, Devon County Council Cabinet member with responsibility for flood risk management, said: “I’m sure the local community will welcome the improved resilience this scheme will provide, and every effort will be made to minimise disruption while installation work is carried out.”
Councillor Ian Hall, Devon County Councillor for Axminster and Uplyme, said: “This is excellent news for the Uplyme parish and shows strong partnership of working together for the local community. We hope everyone can bear with us during any disruption over the 12-week period of work and would like to thank all that have enabled this project to come to fruition.”
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 3 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 4 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 5 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 6 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 7 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 8 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 9 The Parkrun hopeful for the spring
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
Councillor Ian Thomas, EDDC member for Trinity ward which includes Uplyme, said: “The start of work is very positive news for Uplyme. East Devon is pleased to be investing £55,000 in a scheme to prevent a repeat of serious floods which have caused such distress to our village. I am sure that when the scheme is completed, we can look forward with much more confidence that heavy rain will no longer be associated with another flooding episode in the village centre.”
The scheme, which has been developed by Devon County Council’s flood risk management team, is being funded by contributions from Devon County Council, Flood Defence Grant in Aid, local levy and East Devon District Council.
Work is being carried out by South West Highways.