Uplyme teenager on course for Navy career
A life on the ocean waves is Thomas’ dream
AN East Devon teenager’s dream of a life on the ocean waves has moved a step closer.
Royal Navy recruit Thomas Blackmore, 18, has just completed nine weeks of intensive training aftre joining the senior service in November.
The former Woodroffe School pupil, who hales from Uplyme, is learning to be an engineering technician.
He will now transfer to HMS Sultan in Hampshire where he will learn the skills in mechanical engineering to keep the ships of the Royal Navy running at the peak of operational effectiveness.
Thomas says he is looking forwrad to his life in the Navy and travelling the globe but still hopes to gets back to Uplyme to see his dad and Axminster to see girlfriend Chloe Hayter as oiften as he can.
He said: “I joined the Royal Navy to see different parts of the world and for an exciting way of life. Basic training is hard and sometimes stressful, but it’s a great way to develop personalities and the end result makes everything really worthwhile.”
- 1 Exeter cargo plane deemed 'beyond economical repair'
- 2 River Cottage Kitchen now open again at out-of-town HQ
- 3 Pub of the year Axminster Inn crowned
- 4 Axminster Queens Jubilee events
- 5 Honiton author release new sci-fi drama book
- 6 Seaton gets set to celebrate The Queen
- 7 Date reportedly set for Tiverton and Honiton by-election
- 8 Giving the Monarchy a bad name...
- 9 Aldi to take over Co-op site in Seaton
- 10 Gang responsible for bringing a kilo of drugs into Devon jailed for 23 years
Details of career opportunities within the Royal Navy are available online at www.royalnavy.mod.uk or by calling the Recruitment Line on 08456 07 55 55.