Vandals wreck Honiton Bowling Club
HONITON Bowling Club was left to pick up the pieces – and a �1,500 bill – after vandals tore down its perimeter fencing.
HONITON Bowling Club was left to pick up the pieces - and a �1,500 bill - after vandals tore down its perimeter fencing.
Police are hunting those responsible after large sections of wooden panelling were ripped apart at around 9.15pm last Thursday.
Allan Nex, the club's green ranger and a member of its management committee, told the Herald: "Some of the fencing panels are totally missing and could be in the River Gissage.
"The amount of physical effort used to remove the panels must have been considerable.
You may also want to watch:
"Vandalism has happened in the past at the club, but not to this extent.
"This is a significant happening."
- 1 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 2 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 3 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 4 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 5 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 6 March the target for Point to Point racing
- 7 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 8 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 9 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
Mr Nex said, although the club is insured, its excess is �500.
Pc Ian Atyeo said: "A member of the public, in a neighbouring property, heard the sounds of splintering wood and, on looking out of a first floor window, saw what he or she believed to be youths making off across the playing field towards the Gissage and Millers Way.
"At least one of these persons had a torch."
Anybody with information is urged to call police on 08452 777444.