Vernon Whitlock voted Mayor
David Foster is voted in as his deputy.
Vernon Whitlock has been voted Honiton’s new mayor and will next month replace outgoing civic leader Peter Fleming.
Councillor Whitlock, who was unable to attend Monday’s annual meeting of the town council, previously served as mayor in 2006 and 2007 and is the out-going deputy mayor.
Honiton- born councillor, David Foster is to take on the post of deputy mayor at the age of 34.
He said: “I pleased to be deputy mayor and I am very keen and excited to do it.
You may also want to watch:
“It was a nice surprise and I am absolutely looking forward to taking on the challenge.”
Mr Foster admitted he is looking forward to working with Councillor Whitlock and hopes to learn a lot from his experience, which will help him in the future and the council for some years to come.
- 1 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 2 Backing for plan to launch parkruns for young athletes
- 3 Talk of a high-wage economy will not amuse those on low incomes
- 4 Long wait over as Honiton allotments are handed over to residents
- 5 Honiton man jailed for two years for voyeurism
- 6 Seaton tourist attraction to stay closed to the public
- 7 Fundraiser makes brief stop on charity trek
- 8 It's official - Devon is one of the most popular places to live
- 9 Village youngsters excited by opening of new pump track
- 10 Property of the Week: Marcella House, Kilmington
“I am looking forward to being more involved with the community and attending public events,” he said.
Mr Foster has been a councillor for just over two years and hopes to continue his existing work with schools and is looking to improve facilities for the young people of the town.
“I would like to see the community complex through to fruition and in the next two years.”
The father of five is hoping to bring his family values to the role, as well as his knowledge of the town. He said: “I was born and raised in the town and see it as my town. I know how the town works and how the town’s people think.”
He also said he hopes to bring a new and fresh approach to the role.