Vets’ aid for prickly customers
- Credit: Archant
New Street Vets give a helping hand to Honiton Hedgehog Rescue.
A hedgehog rescue initiative in Honiton has been given a cash-boost to help continue its work.
Honiton Hedgehog Rescue, which is run by Deborah Stamp, was presented with a cheque for £75 from New Street Vets by practice partner and veterinary surgeon Greg Axsel last Wednesday.
The money was raised through donations from clients who were asked to give money to a worthy cause rather than send Christmas cards or gifts.
Pictured is Matty the hedgehog, who was rescued by Deborah from Mathews Close on New Year’s Day.
You may also want to watch:
The autumn juvenile weighed only 250g and would have not survived the hibernation process.
Once they are nursed back to health by Deborah they are usually released back into the area where they were originally found.
- 1 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 2 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 3 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 4 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 5 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 6 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 7 Football in support of mental health
- 8 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 9 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 10 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
On receiving the cheque she said: “It is wonderful – it will keep the hedgehogs in biscuits for a while.”
The money will also be used to help towards the cost of medication.
Honiton Hedgehog Rescue is completely self-funded and relies on donations.
In the last year alone Deborah says she has rescued 60 hedgehogs. New Street Vets says it has also seen a rise in the number of hedgehogs being brought into the surgery.
If you spot a hedgehog in need of rescue or would like advice, call Honiton Hedgehog Rescue on 07790 440104 or 07738 306557.