Victory for Colyton library campaigners
New hours will help younger readers get access to books after school
CAMPAIGNERS have won their fight for new opening hours at Colyton library to help younger readers.
Devon County Council officials have agreed to change the times to provide a more even spread across the week.
The move follows a campaign led by The Friends of Colyton Library group
Until now the library has been open three mornings a week, but only one afternoon, on Tuesdays.
You may also want to watch:
From December 6 longer opening hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays mean that children and young people will have more opportunity to use the service after school.
The library will still open Thursday and Saturday mornings, but will now be closed on Fridays.
- 1 'Unmissable' music show a treat for Beehive audiences
- 2 PM had to be cautious on next step, says MP
- 3 Farm opens gardens and wildflower meadows to support good causes
- 4 4 common roofing problems and how you can fix them
- 5 Walkers get ready to step out in the twilight for Hospiscare
- 6 Tim Martin of Wetherspoons wants government to offer visas to EU workers to help out in pubs
- 7 Axminster bowlers travel to Seaton for a challenging fixture
- 8 Royal College of Midwives calls for long-term investment in NHS staff
- 9 Leanne's charity pledge to spread the word on vision awareness
- 10 Traders repay public's support with a fortnight feast of fiver offers
County Councillor Roger Croad, said: “We greatly appreciate the involvement of the Friends of Colyton Library group in helping us to provide a library service that meets the community’s needs.
“The library is still open for the same number of hours a week, so the change hasn’t involved any extra cost, but the service is now available at times that are more convenient to our users.”
Jane Dauncey, Chairman of the Friends of Colyton Library group, said: “We are so pleased that the children will have more opportunities to use the library, and that the views of the people of Colyton have been taken into account.”
The new opening hours are:
Monday – Closed.
Tuesday 2.30pm – 6pm.
Wednesday – Closed.
Thursday 10am – 12.30pm and 3pm – 5pm.
Friday – Closed.
Saturday 10am – 12 noon.