Victory for Colyton library campaigners
New hours will help younger readers get access to books after school
CAMPAIGNERS have won their fight for new opening hours at Colyton library to help younger readers.
Devon County Council officials have agreed to change the times to provide a more even spread across the week.
The move follows a campaign led by The Friends of Colyton Library group
Until now the library has been open three mornings a week, but only one afternoon, on Tuesdays.
From December 6 longer opening hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays mean that children and young people will have more opportunity to use the service after school.
The library will still open Thursday and Saturday mornings, but will now be closed on Fridays.
- 1 Landlord jailed for 'groping barmaids' trying to stuff wages down their tops
- 2 'Something for everyone' as Axe Vale Show returns to Axminster
- 3 New Repair Cafe to open in Honiton next month
- 4 New unit to be built opposite Hangar two at Dunkeswell Airfield
- 5 Town council explores best way forward for the Beehive
- 6 Seaton gets set to celebrate The Queen
- 7 Over 1K raised by Honiton concert for Ukraine
- 8 Injured coast path walker airlifted to hospital
- 9 Aldi to take over Co-op site in Seaton
- 10 Pub organises fundraising gigs for Ukraine
County Councillor Roger Croad, said: “We greatly appreciate the involvement of the Friends of Colyton Library group in helping us to provide a library service that meets the community’s needs.
“The library is still open for the same number of hours a week, so the change hasn’t involved any extra cost, but the service is now available at times that are more convenient to our users.”
Jane Dauncey, Chairman of the Friends of Colyton Library group, said: “We are so pleased that the children will have more opportunities to use the library, and that the views of the people of Colyton have been taken into account.”
The new opening hours are:
Monday – Closed.
Tuesday 2.30pm – 6pm.
Wednesday – Closed.
Thursday 10am – 12.30pm and 3pm – 5pm.
Friday – Closed.
Saturday 10am – 12 noon.