Victory for Honiton campaigners
THE campaigning chairman of a Honiton residents’ association says he is glad East Devon District Council has put the brakes on plans for a new community centre.
Ken Sherman, of Northcote Lane, led calls for a town poll and was disgusted when Honiton Town Council decided to proceed with the plan despite an overwhelming ‘no’ vote.
“I’m pleased that they put the brakes on this altogether,” he told the Midweek Herald.
“The town council should now sit down with Honiton Community Centre Association and start fundraising to purchase a site in a more central and suitable location.
“I am quite pleased at this outcome. It is what I was looking for.
You may also want to watch:
“They (Honiton Town Council) tried to do it quick, cheap and easy and it didn’t work.”
- 1 Watchmaker's celebrity approach proves a timely move
- 2 Big-hearted trio smash fundraising target for animal sanctuary
- 3 Food and drink festival proves the perfect tonic after lockdown
- 4 Exeter Chiefs star inspires young rugby players during Honiton store visit
- 5 Monday means a big step forward on road to economic recovery
- 6 Firefighters ask farmers to be on guard after spate of blazes
- 7 Sisters urge supporters to keep giving as mum battles to beat cancer
- 8 Mr Music's motor is no van ordinaire
- 9 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 10 Anniversary milestone for the railway station that beat Beeching