Warning issued after dog poisoned
- Credit: Archant
A Honiton woman has issued a warning to fellow dog owners after her Labrador cross tragically died after eating poison.
Patricia Franklin says her 11-year-old dog Harley ate slug bait whilst out walking in the Core Copse area of East Hill Strips, which is near Honiton.
However, she fears the slug pellets could have been left there on purpose.
Patricia said: “We hope that what Harley found was an isolated incident of someone discarding garden rubbish without thinking of the consequences, but we know deliberate poisoning has occurred in other areas, by someone incensed by dog mess left on the ground.
“If this turns out to be the case, then anyone who has ever not picked up after their dog has contributed to the death of our best friend. There is no excuse for not picking up.”
You may also want to watch:
Patricia was unaware Harley had ingested the poison and said his condition took a turn for the worse hours after returning home.
She added: “A couple of hours later he was really panting uncomfortably and was restless, which is sign of heat stroke. I got wet towels to cool him down and thought that’s what was wrong.
- 1 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 2 Remembering the victims of the holocaust
- 3 March the target for Point to Point racing
- 4 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 5 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 6 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 7 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 8 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 9 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 10 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
“He started getting steadily worse and unsteady on his feet.”
Patricia took him to the vets where she was told he had eaten a large quantity of the poison. He was then put under anaesthetic and died on the morning of Thursday, July 17 following the Tuesday afternoon walk.
“It was dreadful. There is nowhere else he could have got it. It is not something we have or our neighbours have,” says Patricia.
However, Patricia told the Midweek Herald that she is not aware of any other incidents in the area and said it ‘never occurred’ to her that her dog had eaten poison. But, she admits she will probably never know what happened.
Following Harley’s death Patricia rang the Forestry Commission to report the incident.
A statement from the Forestry Commission said: “Forestry Commission staff were concerned to hear that Mrs Franklin’s dog had died due to suspected poisoning. Staff spoke to Mrs Franklin to ascertain the route taken through Core Copse in the East Hill Strips, East Devon, a Forestry Commission site.
“Staff confirmed that they saw nothing suspicious that a dog might pick up in the woods and that slug pellets or the like are never used by the Forestry Commission in these woods.
“The wood is a very popular area for dog walkers and no other incidents of a similar nature have been reported from people dog walking there.”