Warning over dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning

PUBLISHED: 11:00 26 February 2013 | UPDATED: 13:52 04 March 2013

�

Archant

Four people taken to hospital suffering from symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service is warning members of the public of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning following an incident at the weekend.

Firefighters found extremely high levels of carbon monoxide were found within a house during an incident on Saturday.

Four people were taken to hospital with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Station manager Mark House said: “This incident illustrates how important it is to have carbon monoxide detectors as well as smoke alarms.

“However, carbon monoxide alarms are not a substitute for proper installation and maintenance of gas appliances.”

He added: “You can’t see the poisonous fumes, you can’t taste them and you can’t smell them and you won’t realise you are being overcome by the fumes until it is too late.”

For more information visit www.dsfire.gov.uk/YourSafety/SafetyInTheHome/Carbonmonoxide.cfm?siteCategoryId=4&T1ID=35&T2ID=299


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald