We aim to give value for money
YOUR February 17 paper included several letters from residents suggesting that EDDC is not efficient with their money. I d like to correct that impression with a few facts. Although we are the 28th largest of the 200 district councils in England by popul
YOUR February 17 paper included several letters from residents suggesting that EDDC is not efficient with their money.
I'd like to correct that impression with a few facts.
Although we are the 28th largest of the 200 district councils in England by population, we charge the 16th lowest rate of district Council Tax in England.
A misconception about Council Tax is that because EDDC collects it, we keep all of it.
Not true. Three-quarters of the average Band D Council Tax of �1,456 we collect goes to Devon County Council; more of what's left goes to the Police and Fire Services than to EDDC.
In fact, EDDC receives only eight per cent, or �118, of the average Band D Council Tax.
- 1 Landlord jailed for 'groping barmaids' trying to stuff wages down their tops
- 2 New Repair Cafe to open in Honiton next month
- 3 Neil Parish wont stand in Honiton and Tiverton by-election
- 4 'Something for everyone' as Axe Vale Show returns to Axminster
- 5 New unit to be built opposite Hangar two at Dunkeswell Airfield
- 6 Pub organises fundraising gigs for Ukraine
- 7 Town council explores best way forward for the Beehive
- 8 Seaton gets set to celebrate The Queen
- 9 Axminster Queens Jubilee events
- 10 Candidates lining up to replace Neil Parish in Tiverton and Honiton
This means the average household currently pays just �2.27 each week for all EDDC services (recycling, waste collection, planning, street cleaning, licensing, leisure centres and swimming pools, housing and environmental health) - less than the price of a pint of beer.
An average Band D Council Tax payer living in Dawlish or Teignmouth, pays �147 each year to their district council.
In Chard or Ilminster they pay �148 and in Crediton or Cullompton �179.
EDDC is not complacent. We're continually seeking to provide even better value for money.
Last year, we achieved �707,000 worth of efficiencies.
Councillor Andrew Moulding
Portfolio Holder Resources
East Devon District Council