We aim to give value for money
YOUR February 17 paper included several letters from residents suggesting that EDDC is not efficient with their money. I d like to correct that impression with a few facts. Although we are the 28th largest of the 200 district councils in England by popul
YOUR February 17 paper included several letters from residents suggesting that EDDC is not efficient with their money.
I'd like to correct that impression with a few facts.
Although we are the 28th largest of the 200 district councils in England by population, we charge the 16th lowest rate of district Council Tax in England.
A misconception about Council Tax is that because EDDC collects it, we keep all of it.
You may also want to watch:
Not true. Three-quarters of the average Band D Council Tax of �1,456 we collect goes to Devon County Council; more of what's left goes to the Police and Fire Services than to EDDC.
In fact, EDDC receives only eight per cent, or �118, of the average Band D Council Tax.
- 1 Teacher who threw himself into village life in retirement
- 2 Legion hosts latest in series of timely war graves walks
- 3 Jo’s family go the distance to support cancer charity
- 4 Sky's the limit for popular artist as new exhibition opens
- 5 Premier League contract for local footballer
- 6 Council spending on temporary housing soars as crisis grows
- 7 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 8 Double-header for Honiton juniors against Cullompton
- 9 'Going out on a high' - food festival chairman hands over the reins after this year's successful event
- 10 Appeal goes out to patients as Devon's health service buckle under pressure
This means the average household currently pays just �2.27 each week for all EDDC services (recycling, waste collection, planning, street cleaning, licensing, leisure centres and swimming pools, housing and environmental health) - less than the price of a pint of beer.
An average Band D Council Tax payer living in Dawlish or Teignmouth, pays �147 each year to their district council.
In Chard or Ilminster they pay �148 and in Crediton or Cullompton �179.
EDDC is not complacent. We're continually seeking to provide even better value for money.
Last year, we achieved �707,000 worth of efficiencies.
Councillor Andrew Moulding
Portfolio Holder Resources
East Devon District Council