We need a town vote’
There have been comments in this newspaper referring to traffic in Dowell Street. In 1986 Honiton town councillor Ron Gigg and the district council took up the issue of extra traffic using Dowell Street, but Devon County Council said the development of Oaklee would generate no extra traffic.
There have been comments in this newspaper referring to traffic in Dowell Street.
In 1986 Honiton town councillor Ron Gigg and the district council took up the issue of extra traffic using Dowell Street, but Devon County Council said the development of Oaklea would generate no extra traffic.
How wrong they were!
In 1974, when car parking charges started in Honiton, the town's chamber of commerce requested that parking spaces should be made available for traders and staff.
This was done, but now our town council and EDDC want to take one amenity away, which is a necessity, to build an over-priced project.
Why has it taken so much time, some councillors ask, to get this far?
- 1 Hobby cannabis grower from Axminster busted after he 'got greedy'
- 2 Candidates lining up to replace Neil Parish in Tiverton and Honiton
- 3 Honiton's oldest paper-boy retires
- 4 Landlord jailed for 'groping barmaids' trying to stuff wages down their tops
- 5 Seaton gets set to celebrate The Queen
- 6 'Something for everyone' as Axe Vale Show returns to Axminster
- 7 Vintage Sports Cars grace the Wiscombe Park track
- 8 Peco propose new storage and multimedia centre
- 9 Neil Parish wont stand in Honiton and Tiverton by-election
- 10 New Repair Cafe to open in Honiton next month
Well, we had a councillor, Ray Sharp, who made sure there would be no over-spending of money we do not have - to protect the tax payer.
Mayor Ash made the comment "we have to be brave" over this project.
She should have said we need to be sensible and careful about putting the people in to debt.
EDDC needs to keep this land for car-parking - not kill Honiton off like they have with Seaton.
We need a town vote on this issue.
How can 12 people vote for thousands?