We need a town vote’
There have been comments in this newspaper referring to traffic in Dowell Street. In 1986 Honiton town councillor Ron Gigg and the district council took up the issue of extra traffic using Dowell Street, but Devon County Council said the development of Oaklee would generate no extra traffic.
There have been comments in this newspaper referring to traffic in Dowell Street.
In 1986 Honiton town councillor Ron Gigg and the district council took up the issue of extra traffic using Dowell Street, but Devon County Council said the development of Oaklea would generate no extra traffic.
How wrong they were!
In 1974, when car parking charges started in Honiton, the town's chamber of commerce requested that parking spaces should be made available for traders and staff.
You may also want to watch:
This was done, but now our town council and EDDC want to take one amenity away, which is a necessity, to build an over-priced project.
Why has it taken so much time, some councillors ask, to get this far?
- 1 Old Webster's site car park to be re-opened and run by council
- 2 Hippos beaten by a penalty at Okehampton
- 3 New exhibition for well known local ceramicist
- 4 Property of the Week: Sidmouth Road, Rousdon
- 5 Teacher who threw himself into village life in retirement
- 6 New plan to build East Devon back better after the pandemic
- 7 Volunteers unite again to launch Operation Rudolph
- 8 MP gets a flavour of community food project's new base
- 9 Councils across Devon to provide training to boost business
- 10 Premier League contract for local footballer
Well, we had a councillor, Ray Sharp, who made sure there would be no over-spending of money we do not have - to protect the tax payer.
Mayor Ash made the comment "we have to be brave" over this project.
She should have said we need to be sensible and careful about putting the people in to debt.
EDDC needs to keep this land for car-parking - not kill Honiton off like they have with Seaton.
We need a town vote on this issue.
How can 12 people vote for thousands?