We rocked until we dropped - photo gallery
Heavy metal music was a shock for Honiton Senior Citizens’ Centre members, who were expecting rock and roll - but they bopped with the best until midnight.
Honiton Royal British Legion Club has new members today - after guests at The Herald’s rock night were impressed with its facilities.
Three people joined the club last night (Friday) during a free night of entertainment, organised by the Legion in association with The Herald.
Starring heavy metal musician John de Barra, the event was staged to promote the club at a time when it is facing closure.
A steady stream of guests and members enjoyed the night - including leading lights from Honiton Senior Citizens’ Centre.
They organised a night out after reading about the event in The Herald.
Unfortunately, they read the first ‘plug’ for the night - when it was inadvertently described as a rock and roll evening. They were expecting to Rock Around The Clock but ended up Rocking All Over The World.
- 1 Gittsham motorist 'so drunk he had to be carried out of car'
- 2 Towns join forces to promote green tourism
- 3 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 4 Axminster vehicle extravaganza hailed 'great day out'
- 5 Simon Jupp calls for Prime Minister's resignation
- 6 By-election result proves East Devon is not as 'true blue' as people thought
- 7 Woman seriously injured after motorway bridge fall
- 8 Stark warning on spending from Devon finance chief
- 9 Serious accident closes A35 in both directions
- 10 Motorcyclist dies after crash on A35 near Axminster
DJ Shaneen, who ran a two-hour disco before the live entertainment started, played a number of rock and roll classics to ensure everyone could enjoy themselves.
In fact, the senior citizens bopped all night and marvelled at Mr de Barra’s head banging dance routines, which just fell short of him doing the splits.
Mr de Barra included some rock and roll songs, but admitted: “I’m out of my comfort zone.”
The evening was a great success, attracting people of all ages.
More Herald-backed events at the Legion are planned. Watch this space.
Click the link (above right) to view pictures from the evening.
Video to follow. Revisit this website.