Welcome boost for Devon Link Up
- Credit: Archant
Doctor raises £500 for the Dunkeswell-based charity.
A Honiton charity has received a welcome boost of funds for its operations, thanks to a lady running the London Marathon.
Dr Rachel Mendy, from Somerset, ran the 26 mile course, and raised £500 for Devon Link Up, a charity based in Dunkeswell.
The organistion provides the opportunity for those with learning disabilities, and their families and carers, to obtain advice, guidance and support and participate in recreational activities in a safe environment.
If the run itself wasn’t gruelling enough, Rachel also had to fight the elements as strong sunshine added another obstacle to the course.
You may also want to watch:
Rachel said: “The run was such an emotional experience, with support from the fantastic crowds all the way around.
“It was a much hotter day than I had trained for, but I kept going and kept smiling and made it across the finish line.”
- 1 'Unmissable' music show a treat for Beehive audiences
- 2 PM had to be cautious on next step, says MP
- 3 Farm opens gardens and wildflower meadows to support good causes
- 4 Walkers get ready to step out in the twilight for Hospiscare
- 5 4 common roofing problems and how you can fix them
- 6 Tim Martin of Wetherspoons wants government to offer visas to EU workers to help out in pubs
- 7 Axminster bowlers travel to Seaton for a challenging fixture
- 8 Royal College of Midwives calls for long-term investment in NHS staff
- 9 Couple support hospital that cared for tragic grandson
- 10 Leanne's charity pledge to spread the word on vision awareness
Rachel works in learning disability services in Somerset and knows what Devon Link Up offer to the community.
She said: “I’m always interested in what charities are doing locally to support people with learning disabilities to engage actively with their community.
“I was really impressed with the meaningful way in which Devon Link Up worked to empower people to have fulfilling lives and this was why I wanted to run to support them.”