Wellington Carnival - Harlequin CC steals the show
Hour-long procession attracted thousands.
HARLEQUIN CC, of Ilminster, stole the show at Wellington Carnival – the traditional start of the illuminated carnival season in Somerset.
Two years after stealing hearts with a breath-taking entry based on The Lion King, the Ilminster-based club has done it again.
Geppetto’s Workshop was the highlight of the procession, receiving a rapturous welcome.
Costumes, music and a fantastic cart build combined to enthral young and old alike.
After a freezing start to the day, warm sunshine into the early evening guaranteed a good crowd at this year’s spectacle.
For the fourth consecutive year, the Midweek Herald provided a marshalling team on behalf of Honiton and District Carnival.
- 1 Tourist blamed satnav for sending him wrong way up A303 dual carriageway
- 2 New artist drawing his way around Seaton
- 3 Nine-year-old launches fundraising appeal to spruce up RD&E's kids ward
- 4 Full steam ahead for Honiton Hill Rally on bank holiday weekend
- 5 Caravan left 'severely damaged' by fire on A35
- 6 Repair work on flood damage begins at Axminster bowling club
- 7 Aldi seeking approval for extension of former Coop site
- 8 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 9 Organisers aren't 'sheepish' about this upcoming Axe Valley event
- 10 Kilmington driver admits injuring woman in Axminster crash
Once again, we were on patrol in Rockwell Green – where crowds were good natured and kept well back from procession entries. We enjoyed our first experience of manning a road block - the crossroad at Pope Lane.
Carnival chairman Jo Chave pulled off another big night for Wellington, despite having just a small committee.
This tireless carnival volunteer deserves every praise for her continued, appreciated efforts.
Gemini CC, of Ilminster, was unable to make Wellington, but is expected to be on the road soon.
More from Wellington Carnival to follow.