What do we get for our rates?
As a business owner in Honiton, I m concerned that, once again, our business rates are increasing. I know my colleagues elsewhere in the town have recently expressed their disquiet through the columns of the Midweek Herald.
As a business owner in Honiton, I'm concerned that, once again, our business rates are increasing. I know my colleagues elsewhere in the town have recently expressed their disquiet through the columns of the Midweek Herald.
I'm intrigued as to just what it is that we get from East Devon District Council in return for the considerable sums of money that they take from our bank account each month. I contacted EDDC this week as my estate agency has a large and redundant photocopier that we need to dispose of. It doesn't work any more and as it's the size of a Ford Transit, I can't really sneak it into the litter bin around the corner.
The person who answered my telephone query at EDDC really couldn't have cared less about things and she swiftly explained that the council doesn't deal with trade waste and that we'd have to try elsewhere. She was unable to offer any constructive advice whatsoever. Were I to take this machine to Sutton Barton tip myself with the aim of offering it up for recycling, the "rubbish police" would pounce on me in seconds and I'd probably be strung up from the nearest tree.
So, come on then, what am I supposed to do with this photocopier, any ideas? I notice the layby down the road has a few spaces available now the mattress and fridge have gone, but I'm far too responsible to resort to this course of action!
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Phil Twiss retains Devon County Council seat
- 2 Ian Hall retains Devon County Council seat
- 3 Marcus Hartnell wins Seaton and Colyton election
- 4 Millwey Rise 2 Pinhoe 0
- 5 Hollie's happy to be in the Little Shop of vouchers
- 6 Netball club members win superstar backing for 'trip' to Australia
- 7 Children get a taste of life in a forest school - and enjoy the benefits
- 8 Latest news from Axe Cliff Golf Club
- 9 Honiton carers' group meets again
- 10 Caroline and Steve Bond win Covid Cup at Axe Cliff