Where are we going to sleep tonight?
PUBLISHED: 09:53 01 February 2012
Honiton family has to be out of house today.
A Honiton couple and their two young children do not know where they will be sleeping tonight.
They have been told to be out of their private rented home, in Banfield Way, and say they have got nowhere to go.
Paul Crellen, 27, and Charrise Lennon, 21, who have two sons, Theo, two, and Kaison, six months, claim they have been advised by East Devon District Council to stay put and force the landlord to serve them with a possession order.
The council, however, says it is advising the family to seek independent legal advice.
“We’ve got to be out by Wednesday, but we have got nowhere to go,” said Honitonian Charrise.
“The council won’t help us until we have a possession order, but our landlord has told us new tenants are moving in on Friday.”
Paul, a warehouse worker, and Charrise, who have lived in the two bedroom property for three years, were sent written notice that the shorthold tenancy was being terminated at the end of last November.
Since then, they say, they have viewed other private rents in Honiton - but could not afford them.
“Some don’t accept children and others won’t accept the deposit bond or people in receipt of Housing Benefit,” said Cherrise.
“I’m disgusted that the council can’t help us until a possession order is issued.”
Paul said: “We just don’t know what is going to happen.”
A spokeswoman for East Devon District Council told the Herald: “We are aware that Miss Lennon and Mr Crellen have been given notice to terminate their shorthold tenancy and are doing everything we can to help them find alternative suitable accommodation.
“We have already made a number of attempts to assist Miss Lennon, including an offer of financial assistance, and we have also advised her to take independent legal advice.”