Seaton vegan hate mail card was A HOAX
- Credit: Archant
Woman apologises to butcher Ron Norman for a joke which backfired.
An apparent hate mail card wishing a Seaton butcher a very MISERABLE Christmas has turned out to be … a hoax.
Signed ‘Seaton Vegan Society’ it was delivered to Ron Norman’s shop in Fore Street on Tuesday.
Instead of wishing him a Merry Christmas the sender had crossed out some of the letters and replaced them to read ‘Miserable Christmas’.
Mr Norman, who sells only meat that comes from farms with the highest animal welfare standards, was so upset he put the card on the counter so customers could read it.
You may also want to watch:
Many were outraged at what appeared to be a cowardly attack by the anonymous writer.
Customer Reg Gardner said he was appalled.
- 1 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 2 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 3 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 4 How would you feel about giving up your car?
- 5 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 6 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 7 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 8 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 9 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 10 Grassroots sport under the Lords microscope
“I think it is a shame to send this to a butcher who provides a service to those who enjoy meat and does his best for the wellbeing of the animals from which it comes.
“It is very sad that the vegan who sent it does have not the courage to deliver it personally or put their name on it.”
But now it has it emerged the card was sent as a joke by one of Mr Norman’s regular customers.
The woman went in to the shop and apologised for causing such an outcry with what she had simply intended as a bit of fun.
Mr Norman said he told her the Herald had already reported the story.
“She said it served her right,” he added.