Work begins on giant mural to screen Axminster eyesore
But critics say turning the former Websters Garage into a car park would serve the community better
Work on a giant mural to mask Axminster’s eyesore Websters Garage has begun, amid continuing calls for a longer term solution.
Critics say it would be better to demolish the derelict building and use the site for much needed extra car parking.
Their call came in response to warnings that the town’s expansion could soon lead to a shortage of spaces for visiting motorists.
Mayor Andrew Moulding said the existing parks were already pretty much up to capacity on some days of the week.
You may also want to watch:
And if Axminster was scheduled to grow in future it was something that would need to be addressed.
He suggested that the Axminster Community Enterprise group (ACE), on which he serves as chairman, might take on the task of trying to establish possible sites for more parking.
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 3 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 4 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 5 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 6 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 7 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters
- 8 Arc thanks Tesco customers for Wish Tree donations
- 9 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
- 10 Celebs urged to lead by example and stay away from Devon
He said he would ask its members to come up with ideas which he could bring back to the town council.
Cllr Mervyn Symes suggested they look at using the land at Websters.
Cllr Moulding said that could be considered but added: “In the long term we would want that developed in a more productive way.”
“Clean up Axminster” campaigner Peter Bunce this week added his voice to calls for the Websters site to be used for parking
He said: “I feel it would have been of greater benefit to the town if that building had been totally demolished, and the existing car park extended to provide free car parking for those people who work in the town, until such time as the developers feel it is financially viable to re-develop the site.
* Work on the giant mural to screen the Websters frontage is now under way. Builders have put up the boarding around the fa�ade and organisers say the next stage will be to apply a base coat before the painting gets under way.