Work begins on giant mural to screen Axminster eyesore
But critics say turning the former Websters Garage into a car park would serve the community better
Work on a giant mural to mask Axminster’s eyesore Websters Garage has begun, amid continuing calls for a longer term solution.
Critics say it would be better to demolish the derelict building and use the site for much needed extra car parking.
Their call came in response to warnings that the town’s expansion could soon lead to a shortage of spaces for visiting motorists.
Mayor Andrew Moulding said the existing parks were already pretty much up to capacity on some days of the week.
You may also want to watch:
And if Axminster was scheduled to grow in future it was something that would need to be addressed.
He suggested that the Axminster Community Enterprise group (ACE), on which he serves as chairman, might take on the task of trying to establish possible sites for more parking.
- 1 Premier League contract for local footballer
- 2 'We have to look forward and make Jurassic Centre success it deserves to be'
- 3 Supermarket chain planning four new stores in East Devon
- 4 How Devon are you? Take our quiz
- 5 A special remembrance service in Seaton
- 6 Museum exhibition offers a glimpse into wartime life
- 7 Judith is miles ahead in climate change action campaign
- 8 Much-loved public parks given the green flag
- 9 Turkish delight for Axe Valley Runner
- 10 Better broadband rollout will deliver speeds you'd expect
He said he would ask its members to come up with ideas which he could bring back to the town council.
Cllr Mervyn Symes suggested they look at using the land at Websters.
Cllr Moulding said that could be considered but added: “In the long term we would want that developed in a more productive way.”
“Clean up Axminster” campaigner Peter Bunce this week added his voice to calls for the Websters site to be used for parking
He said: “I feel it would have been of greater benefit to the town if that building had been totally demolished, and the existing car park extended to provide free car parking for those people who work in the town, until such time as the developers feel it is financially viable to re-develop the site.
* Work on the giant mural to screen the Websters frontage is now under way. Builders have put up the boarding around the fa�ade and organisers say the next stage will be to apply a base coat before the painting gets under way.