Workshop ‘severely damaged’ in evening blaze

PUBLISHED: 10:38 05 February 2016 | UPDATED: 10:38 05 February 2016

Archant

Firefighters from Honiton and Cullompton were called to the workshop in Marcus Road, Dunkeswell, at 9.37pm last night (Thursday).

A fire which broke out in a Dunkeswell workshop last night was started accidently, Devon and Somerset Fire Service has confirmed.

Firefighters from Honiton and Cullompton were called to the workshop in Marcus Road at 9.37pm, on Thursday (February 4), following a call from the member of the public.

Crews used breathing apparatus and hose reel jets to tackle the flames. They also identified asbestos in the workshop, which contained three vehicles.

Extra precautions were taken to ensure the safety of the crews and people involved.

Officers spent more than two hours tackling the blaze, which was brought under control at 11.4pm. A spokesman for Devon and Somerset Fire Service said the fire started accidently.

They added: “The workshop and its contents were severely damaged by the fire and crews needed to be decontaminated post incident, as a result of white asbestos being involved in the fire. Once the building and area were deemed safe, crews left duty of care with the workshop owner.

“No persons were involved or injured.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Midweek Herald. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Midweek Herald