Young at heart don’t like OAP’
REGARDING your recent headline OAP in top gear... For 50 years, I have been chortling happily at these time-honoured newspaper headlines, so beloved of sub-editors, OAP does this or OAP does that and murmuring Poor old thing .
REGARDING your recent headline OAP in top gear... For 50 years, I have been chortling happily at these time-honoured newspaper headlines, so beloved of sub-editors, "OAP does this" or "OAP does that" and murmuring "Poor old thing".
I suddenly find myself extremely irritated by them.
The problem is that I turned 65 recently. As a young thing, and in my prime, it never crossed my mind that this OAP stuff would happen to me.
It certainly never occurred to me that, when I hit a certain age, anything that I did which happened to be newsworthy would happen no longer to me but to an "OAP"; conjuring up the patronising mental image of a doddery, bent old soul with a stick.
Since I can still bend down and cut my own toenails without any heavy breathing, not to mention a little belly dancing on the side, and hope to be able to so for many years yet, I am making a New Year's resolution to be very careful not to do anything from now on which could possibly provoke such a headline.
If by some accident I should do so, I shall adopt Seriously Grumpy Old Woman mode and attack the offending sub-editor with a walking stick purchased especially for the occasion.
- 1 Bestiality video found on jailed drug dealer's phone
- 2 'Graffiti vandals' target Honiton skate park
- 3 Motorcyclist dies after crash on A35 near Axminster
- 4 Taxidermy alligator set to go under the hammer in Honiton
- 5 Devon's newest MP raises issue of rural fuel duty in parliament
- 6 Drivers advised to plan journeys as A35 landslip work begins
- 7 Serious accident closes A35 in both directions
- 8 Delays on Sidmouth road for Devon County Show
- 9 50 years since Ugandan Asians were resettled in Honiton
- 10 Plan for 18-METRE 5G mast in Honiton submitted
I wonder if anyone else born in 1944 feels the same?
Ottery St Mary