Exeter City are four points clear of the relegation zone after a 0-0 draw at home to Cambridge United but the stats show it could have been a lot better for the Grecians.

City enjoyed 63% of possession, had more shots and corners, limited their visitors to zero shots on target, but still had to settle for the single point.

The first half was a drab affair, as the defensive posture deployed by Cambridge frustrated City on a cold and windy day at St James Park.

The Grecians ramped up the tempo after the break, Jack Aitchison forcing the first proper save from Jack Stevens on 48 minutes before a Pierce Sweeney free-kick was also snaffled by the well-positioned Cambridge custodian.

The visitors volleyed wide from their best chance on the hour but momentum was all with City. Sonny Cox nodded narrowly wide from a corner and Dion Rankine failed to get enough power on a decent opening, as the hosts cranked up the pressure.

There was also a dream moment for debutant Ben Purrington in stoppage time as he climbed highest to head goalwards but Stevens produced a top save to confirm the draw.  

"I thought we dominated the game in terms of possession, but they sat in and made it really difficult for us," manager Gary Caldwell told the club website. 

"In the second half we were much better in terms of the speed we played at and my message to the players was that we have to start like that.

"There is still that period of uncertainty and lack of belief where I want the players to be at it from the first minute and play with that intent.

"The players gave everything to win the game but look, it's a point, we take it, it's four unbeaten at home, and we move on to the next game."

After the midweek fixture at Bristol Rovers, City face a tough trip to play-off chasing Barnsley this weekend and then a pivotal month in February, when the Grecians play six games in three weeks, four of them on home turf.

On the evidence of Saturday, City have enough in the locker to compile a winning run if they can be more clinical in attack.