Apsey lands three trophies at the Axminster finals
- Credit: Archant
Axminster Bowls Club held a very successful weekend of finals, writes David Harris.
The men’s four wood singles final saw Steven Apsey defeat Doug Looskan and the ladies four wood singles final resulted in a win for Ann Clayton with Brenda Edwards the runner-up.
The ladies two wood singles was won by Margaret Crompton with Ann Clayton the runner up while, in the men’s two wood, David Harris defeated Howard Keep.
The open singles saw Bob Sherborne win with Brenda Edwards the runner-up. ,
Barbara Mowatt and Ann Clayton teamed up to win the ladies pairs and the men’s pairs saw another success for Steven Apsey, who teamed up with Andy Spiller to defeat David Harris and John Ellis in a splendid final.
You may also want to watch:
The mixed pairs four wood winners were Barbara Mowatt and Steven Apsey with Phil White and David Harris the runners-up. In the mixed pairs two wood final. Phil White and George Mabon triumphed against Margaret Crompton and Steven Apsey.
In the ladies 101 the winner was Brenda Edwards with Ann Clayton the runners-up and the men’s 101 was won by Ken Webster with David Harris the runner-up.
- 1 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 2 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 3 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 4 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 5 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 6 Grassroots sport under the Lords microscope
- 7 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 8 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 9 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 10 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
Lsst, but certainly not least, the non winners cup final saw James Windsor defeat Ken Webster.
Away from the club finals the Axminster men continued their splendid winning streak in the Devon Over-60s League, landing a brace of victories.
The were 52-22 victors at home to Pines Park with wins on both rinks: Tony Cable, George Mabon, and Bob Sherborne (10-6) and Howard Keep, David Harris, Doug Looskan (26-12). They followed that up with a 36-32 success at Heavitree where there was an excellent 23-14 win for John Ellis, George Mabon, and Bob Sherborne.
However, there was not such good news from the two friendly matches played! A meeting with Kingsteignton ended in an 85-46 loss with only Joan Quick, James Windsor, and Howard Keep successful thanks to a 17-9 score and then the trip to Severalls ended in an 87-46 reversal with no Axminster winners! Unfortunately, the scheduled game at Culm Vale was rained off.
The Axminster indoor bowling season is about to commence and the club would welcome new members. Any interested folk can contact either David on 01297 34175 or Bob on 01297 33094.