AVR ten complete the Dartmoor 600 Challenge
- Credit: Archant
Ten AVRs completed the Dartmoor 600 Challenge on Sunday, visiting all five tops on the moor over 600m in height (that’s about 2,000 for us oldies!), writes Dave Mutter.
It was a tad hot at the start, but good once it clouded over, and conditions underfoot were perfect. The merry band of Garry Perratt, Eleanor Wood, Clare Hansford, Karl and Fran Hodson, Matt Clist, Paul Johns, Graham Newton, Patrick Devine-Wright and Tim Lenton started from near the Dartmoor Inn at Lydford, took a detour to avoid being shot (run leader Garry Perratt having assumed no firing on the ranges at the weekend so hadn’t checked!) and got back on track to reach the first peak at Cut Hill (the point on the moor most remote from habitation).
Tim and Patrick took a direct route to Whitehorse and Hangingstone Hills while the rest took a less direct, but supposedly more runnable route (which it wasn’t!).
Tim and Patrick then pushed on ahead to High Willhayes (the highest point on the moor) and Yes Tor and back to the starting point in 3:45.
The rest followed at a ‘moor’ leisurely pace including sitting with legs in the East Okement above Meldon Reservoir for a while and detouring to Sourton Tor (because Garry said it was a nice spot) and finished in about five hours. A jolly day out was had by all.
You may also want to watch:
Working at the London Stadium, Carol Austin took the chance to add Hackney Marshes parkrun to her list of parkruns completed. It is a lovely out and back course with stunning views back across to Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. Carol finished in 23:02, first W55.
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 3 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 4 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 5 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 6 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 7 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters
- 8 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 9 Fake Covid-19 vaccine scam alert
- 10 Arc thanks Tesco customers for Wish Tree donations