AVRs Gould takes 20 minutes off PB in Liverpool Marathon
- Credit: Archant
AVR member Simon Gould liked the idea of running a marathon, but loves music, so what did he do? writes Dave Mutter.
He ran the Liverpool rock n’ roll marathon of course!
He not only ran it but the music of the 20 bands around the route obviously drove him on as he completed the event in a time of 3:26, beating his personal best (PB) by a full 20 minutes.
He said it was an excellent race and the weather was good apart from a strong headwind for the last four miles – just when you don’t need it.
Sue Venn ran the Puddletown Plod 20k, a race that proved to be very well organised and marshalled with plenty of water en-route. It was an undulating course with a steady climb from 17k to 19k followed by a charge downhill to the finish. She completed in 2:08:27 and is determined to go back next year to get a PB.
You may also want to watch:
James Green completed the Endurance Life Classic Quarter on Saturday. Endurance is certainly the key word as it was 44 miles of Coastal Path from the Lizard to Lands End with 6000ft of climb.
A serious dose of knee pain had him walking the last couple miles into the half way point and seriously contemplating a retirement. However, the checkpoint gave James a chance to rest and renew his determination, to continue. A full 20 minutes later he got going again at a shuffle. The flat section around Penzance gave him a chance to improve his running form and the knee pain started to subside. By mile 26, James was back in the game and on the charge, picking runners off all the way to a checkpoint he climbed to the mid 50’s. Finishing was now a very real possibility and his pace was holding up, finally running the fourth quickest split of the final section in 2:09 to pull him up to 27th overall in 8:36, a magnificent achievement.
- 1 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 2 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 3 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 4 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 5 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 6 Celebs urged to lead by example and stay away from Devon
- 7 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 8 Arc thanks Tesco customers for Wish Tree donations
- 9 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
- 10 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters