AVRs Newton’s run well at Bournemouth Marathon.
AVR members Diane and Graham Newton took part in the Bournemouth Marathon Festival last weekend, writes Dave Mutter.
Diane took to the start line first for the half marathon with nearly 3000 runners taking part. The course took the runners through the streets of Boscombe and down to the seafront where the runners ran along the sea front and out and back on the two piers. Despite the unseasonable heat Diane was very pleased to finish the race in 2:13:48, in 1568th place, taking a full 17 minutes off her personal best.
Next, Graham took his place in line up for the inaugural marathon with more than 3000 other runners. The course was mostly flat with a few hills, the worst being at the 18 mile marker. Graham ran extremely well to complete the marathon 178th in 3:25:28, a PB by a full 10 minutes.
Twenty-four juniors lined up at the start of October’s handicap on Monday’s club night with the first five scorers all beating their PB. Ben Franklin was first in 12:43 followed by William Blackledge, 12:58; Adam Burrough, 15:17; Max Bowskill, 14:39 and Bobby Simpson 12:31.
Ben Franklin now heads the table with 146 points with Caleb Sinclair second, 133 and Max Bowskill third, 125. Gareth Walker was the senior handicap winner in 25:20.
You may also want to watch:
He last won this event as a junior in the 1990’s!
Jon Day was second, 21:15; Alan Morbey third, 28:02, Eleanor Wood fourth, 24:43 and Rupert Pady fifth, 23:00. It’s very tight at the top of the rankings with Tim Sibley leading with 119 points follwoed closey by James Gular with 117 and Eleanor Wood with 113.
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 3 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 4 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 5 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 6 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 7 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 8 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters
- 9 Arc thanks Tesco customers for Wish Tree donations
- 10 Fake Covid-19 vaccine scam alert