Axe Cliff golfers make progress in competitions
There was a problem with fog at Axe Cliff last week, writes Helen Kenworthy.
It led to the cancellation of the seniors’ March Medal competition.
However, the weather was kinder for the first round of this year’s Emerton Court Trophy match against Dartmouth Golf Club at Dartmouth.
The team put in a sterling performance despite losing four-and-two.
Two of the games ended all square and the final match was decided in Dartmouth’s favour on the 18th green!
You may also want to watch:
The half points for Axe Cliff were won by Tony Strong and Peter Knighting and Chris Jowett and Bill Polley. The second leg of this match is at Axe Cliff on Wednesday, April 9, and home advantage may produce a close and exciting finish.
The men’s Winter League, Round 9, was won by Alan Kenworthy and Chris Glover with 44 points.
- 1 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 2 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 3 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 4 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 5 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 6 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 7 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 8 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 9 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
In second place were Matt Donnan and Simon Palmer with 42 points, edging Andrew Hellier and Anthony Hellier into third after both pairs returned scores of 42, with countback used to separate them.
There were an impressive five two registered; David Morgan, Mike Cottam, Steve Anning, Stuart Mackie and Martin Cox being the golfers to achieve this.
A team of Alan Kenworthy, Mike Cottam, Paul Clode, Bill Kitchen and Chris Glover travelled to Churston for the second round of the Mail on Sunday competition and it proved to be a winning day with the team landing a 4-1 victory courtesy of three wins and two halved matches.
Round 10 of the men’s Winter League was won by Alan Morgan and Bob Gray.
Second place went to Simon Palmer and Matt Donnan.
There were four two’s with M Cottam achieving the feat twice and the others were Bob Gray and A Hellier.
Mike Wickins and Gerry Binnmore played there 1st round of the Daily Mail Foursomes against a Honiton four and once again our men were victorious winning two-up with one Last Wednesday the ladies played an EG Medal which was won by Helen Kenworthy.
Second was Margaret Kenchington whilst Barbara Cummings took third.