Axe Cliff ladies enjoy thrilling Sheelah Creasy match win over Stover
- Credit: Archant
Once again, our relatively small ladies’ section showed their mettle with a fine, but close 4-3 win in their opening Sheelah Creasy match, at home to a strong team from Stover Golf Club.
This competition is probably the equivalent of the FA Cup for ladies for some 28 clubs in Devon, all vying for a place in the quarter-finals to be held at Stover, near Newton Abbot on August 6.
Also in Axe Cliff’s initial group stage are Sidmouth and Fingle Glen.
The winners from the seven divisions, together with the best placed runners-up, will contest those quarter-final ties.
Come on, ladies, you can do it.
You may also want to watch:
In the Centenary Cup, the first medal of the year and the first round of the putting competition was played by the ladies and Margaret Kenchington was the overall winner with a nett 80, beating Barbara Cummings on nett 82 and captain Caroline Bond, who had to settle for third place on countback.
On Tuesday, on a very wet and windy day with difficult conditions at Downes Crediton, two of our ladies, Margaret and Jill Wellington, competed in the County Silver and Bronze Medal finals.
- 1 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 2 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 3 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 4 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op
- 5 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 6 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 7 Grassroots sport under the Lords microscope
- 8 How would you feel about giving up your car?
- 9 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
- 10 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
They both managed to finish in the top 20 with very credible performances.