Axe Cliff ladies exact sweet revenge with Courtesy Cup success
- Credit: Archant
The Axe Cliff ladies exacted sweet revenge for their recent heavy defeat to the seniors in the prestigious Tic Toc Trophy when they lifted the Courtesy Cup against the same opposition, writes Pete Motson.
The ladies were led into the contest by vice captain Caroline Bond, standing in for captain Jo Donmall, who is recuperating from a back injury sustained during her valiant efforts in trying to lift the Tic Toc Trophy in the previous week.
The seniors did manage to win one of the games, but then ladies won three to record a superb 3-1 success.
The seniors did give the ladies eight extra courtesy shots as well as their normal greensomes ones. However, it must also be recorded that the girls played brilliantly and would have probably have won with or without their extra allowance anyway!
The winning pairs were Caroline Bond and Jill Wellington, Barbara Cummings and Anne Jarvis and also Stella Thompson and Helen Gaudie.
You may also want to watch:
Their only defeat was the one suffered by Margaret Kenchington and Paula Heasman, who went down to the very strong seniors partnership of steady Gerry Turner and adventurous Mick Swann, the latter having a higher handicap than Margaret!
- 1 Sad passing of Seaton Bowling Club President
- 2 £40,000 to support local groups hit hard by Covid-19 crisis
- 3 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 4 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 5 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 6 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 7 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone
- 8 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 9 Riding through the lockdown restrictions
- 10 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost