Axe Cliff seniors well beaten at Fingle Glen
- Credit: Archant
The Axe Cliff seniors travelled to meet their counterparts at Fingle Glen for a match played out in continual rain and with a bitter wind blowing,. writes Pete Motson.
The home side certainly had the better of things as they were able to utilise their buggies at various times!
It all meant that Axe Cliff ultimately slipped to a 5-1 defeat. However, whilst the score suggests a one-sided affair it was anything but with many of the matches being close contests.
For example Mick Tomes and Mick Swann fought hard, but so many of their puts lipped out (well, that’s what they said!), and they came second.
However, some honour was restored by Bob Cook and John Robinson (Robbo) who raced into a three-hole lead and held on, to finally win three-and-two despite a valiant fight-back by their opponents.
You may also want to watch:
The ‘Nearest the pin’ competition was won by the ever-reliable John Hanna for Axe Cliff, while Brian Ridgeway took the honours for the hosts.
Axe Cliff look forward to restoring the equilibrium with the return match in October on the excellent Axe Cliff fairways and greens.
- 1 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 2 Remembering the victims of the holocaust
- 3 March the target for Point to Point racing
- 4 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 5 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 6 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 7 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 8 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 9 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 10 Parent+ Support Hub receives special thanks from Co-op