Axe Cliff win from the final team, comprising Bill, Gilbert and Sandra
- Credit: Archant
Axe Cliff ladies enjoyed cold but dry conditions in the final game of the year, writes Dave Bruce.
However, this time it was not against the Seniors, but actually pairing up with them in teams consisting of two men and one lady with lovely prizes for the first three!
Eight teams went out and the first, made up of lady captain Caroline Bond, seniors’ captain Dave Bruce and vice-captain Bob Graham, set the target to beat of 63 points on what is known in golf circles as the one-two-three system. In other words, only one score to count on the par fives, two to count on the par fours, leaving all three to count on the par threes. Their score was not beaten until the last team of treasurer Bill Polley, young Gilbert Cox and the lovely Sandra Walker came in to win with an amazing 64 points!
? Across the last two weeks of November, in what were challenging conditions, the Axe Cliff men played the third round of the Winter League.
Playing in bogey format, Nigel Pritchard was a deserved winner with a score of plus six. He was closely followed by Steve Anning (on the back nine) with a score of plus three. In third spot came young Harvey Gibbons.
You may also want to watch:
Twos were plentiful with Steve Reed, Alan Morgan, Jason Webber and Ian Burraston all scoring one each.
The Tradesman Cup, with an interesting medal foursomes, was strongly competed for and won by Alan Kenworthy and Steve Baker, who were much fancied, with a net 65.5.
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 3 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 4 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 5 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 6 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 7 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 8 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 9 The Parkrun hopeful for the spring
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
Last year’s captain, Steve Anning, playing with Simon Sweetland, took second spot with net 69.5.
There were just a brace of twos, scored by the pairings of Nigel Pritchard/Stuart Mackie and Andy Moore/Alan Morgan.