Axe Valley Runners had out Grizzly 2018 cheques
- Credit: Archant
What a Grizzly the 2018 event was! Plagued by forecasts of doom the Grizzly committee lead by race director Tony Smith (after consulting various agencies) were forced to cut the event short and even then, as the snow came with blizzard like conditions on Beer Common wondered if they had made the correct decision, writes Dave Mutter.
As it turned out it was the perfect decision with runners and frozen marshals enjoying the spectacle.
Those marshal’s groups were rewarded last Friday evening with £30,200 split over more than 70 organisations / charities that had pledged to help the event.
Each group received a different amount with the most going to St John Ambulance with £3,000.
Many representatives gave a short talk on where the money would be spent ranging from agricultural projects in Africa, to Hall kitchen extensions and a footpath around Borrow Pit.
You may also want to watch:
Since 1997 the Grizzly has now generated over £397,000 for various charities. Of course, the event could not be put on without a committee of volunteers and the 2018 committee were: Tony Smith, Carol Austin, Phil Bayliss, Becky Davey, Steve Haines, Chris Hill, Tim Sibley, Eleanor and Rick Wood.
Running has become mainstream and most other major events are run by paid staff, the Grizzly remains totally voluntary so many, many congratulations to the committee for putting on another superb event under very difficult circumstances.
- 1 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 2 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 3 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 4 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 5 How would you feel about giving up your car?
- 6 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 7 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 8 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 9 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 10 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
We now look forward to the next Grizzly which takes place on Sunday, March 10, 2019.