Axminster bowlers edged out in Devon League meeting with Sidmouth
- Credit: Archant
Axminster men’s bowls were unlucky in their Devon League meeting with Sidmouth, writes David Harris.
Sidmouth won the game by a single shot, 74-73. The successful rinks for Axminster were the away team of Brian Cursley, David Harris, George Mabon, and Bob Sherborne (28-11) and the home team of Town Elliott, Alan Nabbaro, Eric Skeemer, and Norman Denslow (20-12).
Axminster ladies were also beaten at home by Sidmouth. In a friendly match, Sidmouth won 54-39, this despite the efforts of Daphne Ryan, Sue Bond, and Judith Moffitt, who had an excellent 20-19 win.
In the mixed friendlies, Axminster began with a good home win over Bridport with success on all rinks: Mo Brown, Margaret Brown, Ann Clayton, and Margaret Crompton (35-12), Gill Campbell, Alan Foster, Jean Kesterton, and Brian Clark (21-13), and Philippa White, Ann Burn, Pam Hunter, and Derek Pheby (17-14).
However, a meeting with Yeovil was lost 66-44 in a contest that saw no Axminster winners.
You may also want to watch:
A meeting with Madeira was then lost 71-52 with Mo Brown, Glen Elliott, John Hill, and Ann Clayton (21-18), the only winning rink.
Last, but not least, a home game against Ottery was won 78-48 in a meeting that produced wins for Philippa White, Marion Harris, Neil Solomon, and Roger Legg (35-7) and Sue Bond, David Harris, Ann Clayton, and Derek Pheby (24-19).
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 'Think twice' before leaving home asks Devon health chief
- 3 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 4 'Big Lie' politics go back further than Donald Trump - Paul Arnott
- 5 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 6 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 7 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 8 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 9 The Parkrun hopeful for the spring
- 10 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery