Axminster bowlers enjoy success against Dunkeswell and Devon Vice Presidents
- Credit: Archant
Axminster indoor bowlers enjoyed a couple of good wins recently, writes David Harris.
First up, a mixed friendly meeting with visiting Dunkeswell was won 94-19 with success on all rinks; Andy Curtis, David Lawrence, Ann Clayton, and Brian Clark (34-1), Philippa White, Les Clark, David Harris, and Margaret Crompton (32-8), and Pam Hunter, John Hill, Alfie Day, and Derek Pheby (28-10).
That was followed by a home friendly against Devon Vice Presidents for the Axminster men, a match that was won 46-39 with wins for Andy Curtis, Alan Foster, David Harris, and Bob Sherborne (17-9) and Brian Cursley, Gerald Knott, Sid Milburn, and George Mabon (16-15).
However, the winning run was ended with a 57-28 reversal in a mixed friendly away at Exonia where two of the rinks scores were mighty close; Malcolm Denslow, Ann Clayton, Alfie Day, and Bob Sherborne (13-15) and Mick Hennegan, Marion Harris, David Harris, and Roger Legg (12-14)
Axminster men lost their County Over-60s match against Madeira, going down 114-56 with the best Axminster return coming from the away rink Ken Webster, David Harris, Derek Pheby, and Bob Sherborne, beaten by a margin of just four shots.
You may also want to watch:
Last, but certainly not least, the ladies were narrowly beaten in their friendly game at Honiton, losing 50-47 with the winning Axminster rink being the one of Francis Sell, Gill Campbell, and Alison Glyde (19-9).
- 1 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 2 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 3 Children’s hospice South West celebrates 30 years
- 4 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters
- 5 Celebs urged to lead by example and stay away from Devon
- 6 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 7 A tribute to Axminster mayor Anni Young
- 8 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
- 9 East Devon MPs 'reluctantly agree' on Lockdown Three
- 10 Beer Men's Shed receives £10,000 lottery funding