Axminster bowlers start new season with win over Lyme Regis
- Credit: Archant
The Axminster Bowls Club 2019 outdoor season as launched by councillor Andrew Moulding and club president Lilian Lovatt in glorious sunshine, writes David Harris.
Twenty-seven members were present to take part in the annual spider that follows the official opening of the green.
The Spider, won by Jack Hare, was followed by a ‘Roll-Up’ that was enjoyed by one and all.
The bowlers’ season got underway with a terrific 72-45 win in a mixed friendly meeting with Lyme Regis.
The successful Axminster rinks were: John Ellis, Mike Mellor, Ann Clayton, and Steven Apsey, (25-7); Philippa White, Brian Clark, George Mabon, and Doug Looskan, (20-9) and David Harris, Howard Keep, Alfie Day and James Windsor, (18-10).
You may also want to watch:
Axminster begin a new campaign of Over-60s Exeter and District League action this Wednesday (May 1) with a home game against Okehampton that starts at 2.30pm.
- 1 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 2 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 3 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 4 March the target for Point to Point racing
- 5 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 6 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 7 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 8 Remembering the victims of the holocaust
- 9 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 10 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West