Axminster bowlers start outdoor season with fine win over Crediton
- Credit: Archant
The Axminster Bowling Club outdoor season was launched by lady president Lilian Lovatt, writes David Harris.
The official opening of the rinks for the new campaign was followed by a round-robin competition that was won by Margaret Brown and David Harris respectively.
In team matches the Axminster men did well to beat Crediton at home in the Devon Over-60s League. They won the match 56-18, with success on both rinks: Derek Pheby, Sid Millburn,and Bob Sherborne (29-10) and Alan Morgan, David Harris, and Doug Looskan (27-8).
However, a mixed friendly encounter with visiting Culm Vale was lost 93-51. In this game there was a 15-all tie for the rink of Phil White, David Harris, and Brian Clark, which represented the best result for the home side!
Unfortunately Bridport were unable to raise a side for the club’s other scheduled friendly.
You may also want to watch:
Away from playing and a big round of thanks are due to all the members who helped with what was a very successful coffee morning held at the church rooms recently - a really strong team effort. Well done, everybody.
Last, but certainly not least, congratulations and commiserations must go to Steven Apsey who was most unfortunate to lose in the final of the Devon County Under-21 KO Competition, being pipped on the last end in a play-off by Honiton bowler Scott Eveleigh.
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 3 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 4 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 5 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 6 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 7 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters
- 8 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 9 Arc thanks Tesco customers for Wish Tree donations
- 10 Fake Covid-19 vaccine scam alert