Axminster Indoor Bowls ends season on high with Taunton Deane triumph
- Credit: Archant
The Axminster Indoor Over 60s men’s team finished their Devon League Season in great style, writes David Harris.
They won both final games; beating South Hams 82-76 with wins for both home rinks - Bob Sherborne, Peter Eagles, Ken Hickman, and Don Meylan (36-16) and Mike Knight, Howard Keep, Eric Skeemer, and Paul Moffitt (20-12) and the away rink of Phil Stephens, Tony Savage, Norman Denslow, and Charlie Barber (22-20).
They then saw off Padbrook Park 90-71 with wins on both home rinks – Frank Bridge, Howard Keep, Eric Skeemer, and Paul Moffitt (24-16) and Don Meylan, Bob Sherborne, Peter Eagles, and Barry Rattenbury (30 –9).
However, the men lost two friendly games. First up they succumbed to a 44-41 reversal in a triples close encounter at Sidmouth despite winning on two of the three rinks played.
Tony Payne, David Harris, and Bob Sherborne won 18-11 whilst John Chance, Gerald Knott, and George Mabon triumphed 14-11.
You may also want to watch:
Axminster were then well beaten by a strong Devon Presidents side at home (38-67) with no winning rinks.
The Ladies did well to beat Budleigh at home (48-20) in a two-rink friendly game with wins for Phil White, Sheila Cox, Alison Glyde, and Margaret Crompton (25-10) and Joan Quick, Pauline Knight, Ann Clayton, and Marion Harris (23-10).
- 1 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 2 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 3 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 4 Arc thanks Tesco customers for Wish Tree donations
- 5 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 6 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 7 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters
- 8 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 9 East Devon MPs 'reluctantly agree' on Lockdown Three
- 10 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
In the mixed friendlies there was a narrow home defeat to Feniton (53-59) with a winning foursome of Lilian Lovatt, Margaret Brown, Ann Clayton, and Sheila Martin (25-13) and a tie for Phil White, Pam Clark, David Harris, and Margaret Crompton (17-17).
Axminster then lost at home to Ilminster (40-73) with no winners, but came back strongly in their final game of the season to defeat Taunton Deane at home (67-36) with wins for Lilian Lovatt, Morrison Brown, David Harris, and Margaret Crompton (26-10) and Margaret Brown, Pam Hunter, John Chance, and George Mabon (23-8) whilst Stephen Apsey, William Cook, Ann Clayton, and Marion Harris had a thrilling tie (18-18).