Axminster ladies edge out the men in annual meeting
- Credit: Archant
Axminster’s Over-60s men were beaten on their visit to Crediton for a Devon League match, writes David Harris.
The trip to Mid Devon saw the home side win 38-24, but there was a fine 17-14 success for the Axminster trio of John Hill, David Harris, and Bob Sherborne.
The team bounced back to land a 47-18 home win over St Thomas.
Here there was success on both rinks; Frank Bridge, David Harris, and Doug Looskan (25-8) and Tony Cable, Alan Morgan, and Bob Sherborne (22-10).
In the only mixed fixture played Axminster went down 104-77 at Lyme Regis. This despite winning two and tying one, of the five rinks played!
You may also want to watch:
The winning Axminster rinks were; John Packham, Murial Smith, Brad Hallowes, and George Mabon (18-10) and Phil White, Pam Clark, John Hill, and Ken Quick (19-18), whilst Brenda Edwards, John Ellis, Steven Apsey, and Budgie Hallowes managed a creditable tie (17-17) after coming back from a long way behind!
The annual Axminster ladies versus Axminster gentlemen ended with success for the fairer sex won by a margin of one shot.
- 1 Property of the Week: East Grange
- 2 Tuck into this celebration of East Devon's finest food and drink
- 3 Motorists urged: park sensibly, don't drive Devon residents mad
- 4 Hill climbs to the top on Captain’s Day
- 5 Lions help enthusiastic work skills group
- 6 East Devon councillor resigns to focus on his business interests
- 7 Walkies! Heath team offers summer advice for dog owners
- 8 Be on your guard against toxic hogweed
- 9 Seaton Cricket club ‘bowled over’ by gesture from local housebuilder
- 10 Family pay tribute to popular Colyton man after his tragic death
The winning rinks for the ladies were; Barbara Mowatt, Daphne Ryan and Joan Quick (27-17) and Mo Boshier, Phil White and Ann Clayton (19-13).