Axminster ladies edge out the men in annual meeting
- Credit: Archant
Axminster’s Over-60s men were beaten on their visit to Crediton for a Devon League match, writes David Harris.
The trip to Mid Devon saw the home side win 38-24, but there was a fine 17-14 success for the Axminster trio of John Hill, David Harris, and Bob Sherborne.
The team bounced back to land a 47-18 home win over St Thomas.
Here there was success on both rinks; Frank Bridge, David Harris, and Doug Looskan (25-8) and Tony Cable, Alan Morgan, and Bob Sherborne (22-10).
In the only mixed fixture played Axminster went down 104-77 at Lyme Regis. This despite winning two and tying one, of the five rinks played!
You may also want to watch:
The winning Axminster rinks were; John Packham, Murial Smith, Brad Hallowes, and George Mabon (18-10) and Phil White, Pam Clark, John Hill, and Ken Quick (19-18), whilst Brenda Edwards, John Ellis, Steven Apsey, and Budgie Hallowes managed a creditable tie (17-17) after coming back from a long way behind!
The annual Axminster ladies versus Axminster gentlemen ended with success for the fairer sex won by a margin of one shot.
- 1 'Unmissable' music show a treat for Beehive audiences
- 2 PM had to be cautious on next step, says MP
- 3 Farm opens gardens and wildflower meadows to support good causes
- 4 Walkers get ready to step out in the twilight for Hospiscare
- 5 4 common roofing problems and how you can fix them
- 6 Tim Martin of Wetherspoons wants government to offer visas to EU workers to help out in pubs
- 7 Axminster bowlers travel to Seaton for a challenging fixture
- 8 Royal College of Midwives calls for long-term investment in NHS staff
- 9 Leanne's charity pledge to spread the word on vision awareness
- 10 Traders repay public's support with a fortnight feast of fiver offers
The winning rinks for the ladies were; Barbara Mowatt, Daphne Ryan and Joan Quick (27-17) and Mo Boshier, Phil White and Ann Clayton (19-13).