Axminster ladies’ trio make National KO Cup progress with Honiton success
- Credit: Archant
Despite an excellent start to the indoor season, Axminster bowlers have suffered mixed fortunes of late with defeats in their last three matches, writes David Harris.
First up, a visit from Chardstock resulted in a 103-28 Axminster win with wins on all rinks; Pam Hunter, Sue Bond, Les Clark, and Bob Sherborne (39-5), Morrison Brown, Nigel Bond, Jean Kesterton, and Margaret Crompton (34-11), and Andy Curtis, Margaret Brown, David Harris, and Brian Clark (30-12).
The other mixed friendly played saw the team suffer a heavy 113-58 reversal at the hands of Honiton, this despite winning two of the four rinks played! The Axminster winners were Malcolm Denslow, Morrison Brown, Nigel Bond, and George Mabon (26-22) and John Hill, Jo Barnish, Brian Parsons, and Margaret Crompton (23-15).
The men lost their first match in the County Over 60s, beaten 89-71 by Budleigh with only the home rink of Mick Hennegan, Sid Milburn, Doug Looskan, and John Gough managing a win, (25-18).
The ladies lost their home friendly against a very strong Devon Ladies Patrons team, going down 75-35 and, alas, recording no rink success.
You may also want to watch:
Last, but certainly not least, the Axminster ladies triples team of Brenda Edwards, Phil White, and Ann Clayton got through to the next round of the National KO competition with a thrilling win at Honiton - many congratulations!
- 1 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 2 March the target for Point to Point racing
- 3 Remembering the victims of the holocaust
- 4 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 5 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 6 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 7 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 8 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 9 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 10 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax