Axminster Town continue bright start to new campaign
- Credit: Getty Images/Image Source
Axminster Town made it two wins from two South West Peninsula League games with a 2-0 Friday night win over St Martins at Tiger Way.
Goals from Johnny Hurford and Oscar Lattas gave the Tigers three points to add to their opening day win at Appledore.
Town chairman Ray Self was delighted with what he saw under the Tiger Way floodlights.
Self said: “I thought the win was fully deserved. For me, in a game between two good sides, I always thought we carried that extra touch of class that would ultimately see us through to victory and so it did.”
Self continued: “They (St Martins) are always a hard uncompromising yet talented side and it was a good test for us. I think you could safely say that the lads passed their first test of the new home campaign with flying colours!
You may also want to watch:
“That said, there’s a long season ahead of us. For any team, in any season, getting off to a good start is paramount if you want to first have a good season and second, challenge for the honours come the business end of things.
“I am delighted with the way that Ian (Town boss Ian Burns) has got the team firing after a good pre-season. There’s a buzz around the place and long may that continue.”
- 1 Honiton's Freya gets the chop for the Little Princess Trust
- 2 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 3 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners
- 4 How would you feel about giving up your car?
- 5 The amazing Mr Hicks: a croquet legend
- 6 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 7 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 8 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 9 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 10 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
Town are in action on Tuesday night (August 23) when they visit Alphington and on sayurday they host Brixham (3pm).