Axminster Town extend unbeaten run to six games
- Credit: Archant
Axminster Town took their South West Peninsula League Eastern Division Two unbeaten run to six matches when they played out a goal less draw with Appledore at Tiger Way.
With both side’s going into the game sitting in the top four a close encounter was anticipated and that’s what another good turn out at Tiger Way got to see.
The fact that there were no goals at either end owed much to the excellence of the two goalkeepers. Scott Wells-Burr for the Tigers and Joe Tickle for the visitors.
The Tigers were the equal of the visitors’ who travelled to East Devon sporting a 100 per cent record in away league matches this term!
Callum Garrett was outstanding in the heart of the Tigers midfield. What was also encouraging for the Town faithful was the fact that they were able to see another accomplished youngster wear the club colours. Callum Mooney, at just 17-years of age, was tasked with replacing the suspended Chris Duchenski and the teenager did so with aplomb!
You may also want to watch:
Johnny Hurford also had a fine game, continuing his terrific form this season.
Appledore boss Keith Shapland said: “I think a draw is probably a fair result. It was an exciting game considering the lack of goals.”
- 1 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 2 March the target for Point to Point racing
- 3 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 4 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 5 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 6 Remembering the victims of the holocaust
- 7 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 8 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 9 The US Open: part two
- 10 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
Axminster chairman Ray Self said: “We are coming along well now. The confidence is growing. I was delighted to see the continued use of youngsters. We had 16-year-old Tony Pinder once again playing and the contribution of young Mooney was also very good. It all adds up to make me think we are certainly heading in the right direction.”
Town are back in action on Saturday when they travel to second placed Teignmouth Town.