Axminster Town net three, but lose in nine-goal thriller at Tiger Way
- Credit: Archant
Axminster Town were involved in a thrilling game at Tigers Way that saw nine goals scored in the meeting with Brixham Villa.
Town made a flying start and raced into a 2-0 lead inside 20 minutes.
Johnny Hurford and Alex Wheatley scored the goals that gave another large Tiger Way crowd hope that they’d see their favourites win for the first time in the league this fledgling season.
However, the game changed after an injury enforced the visitors into a change and the new player, 16-year-old Scott Robinson, made an instant impact with a stunning solo goal to half the deficit for Brixham.
It was Villa striker Scott Dodgson who, as skipper, led by example with a hat-trick, who saw Villa into an early second half 4-2 lead. Tye Hawken made it five before plucky Town bagged a third through Mark Smale.
You may also want to watch:
Dodgson had the final word, rifling home a sweetly struck last minute free-kick to win the game 6-3 for his side.
Town chairman Ray Self, who was on duty with the Reserves, but was given a full match run down by Tigers boss Ian Burns, said: “It seems we got ourselves that great start, but were then found guilty of losing focus and switching off. It’s disappointing; of course, to score three times in any game and not have something to show is far from ideal. However, as always there are positives and we are also aware that we need a couple more players to bolster the squad. Ian (Burns) is working hard to sort that.”
- 1 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 2 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
- 3 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 4 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 5 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 6 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 7 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters
- 8 '2020 was the worst year of my life so far' - Molly Bond
- 9 Arc thanks Tesco customers for Wish Tree donations
- 10 Fake Covid-19 vaccine scam alert