Axminster Town preparing for Good Friday invasion of Groundhoppers
- Credit: Archant
Axminster Town are part of this coming Good Friday South West Peninsula League Groundhop that will see the Eastern Division of the SWPL stage seven matches from Thursday evening through to Saturday evening.
Town are part of the Good Friday action, staging the third of the day’s three games with their match against Crediton United kicking-off at 7pm.
East Devon hosts all three of the matches in the Groundhop with the day’s first being the 11am kick-off at Manstone Lane, Sidmouth, where the home side take on Budleigh Salterton, and the second game is the 3pm kick-off at Mountbatten Park where Honiton Town face Ilfracombe Town.
The Groundhop concept sees non-league football followers take in a series of matches in a short space of time and, in general, it’s a first-time visit to the hosting club, for that is what a ‘Groundhopper’ is – a non-league football fan who delights in taking in new football grounds.
Town had no game on the penultimate Saturday of March and so have nine matches left in their SWPL Eastern Division campaign. They play their final eight games across 21 days in April – but only two of them are on the regular match day of Saturday!
You may also want to watch:
They begin their April schedule with a midweek trip to Budleigh Salterton (April 4) before a Saturday, April 7, visit to Bovey Tracey. Four days later they host Budleigh in a swift return and then they have a Sunday, April 15, trip to Appledore.
Three days after the trip to North Devon the Tigers host Newton Abbot Spurs in a midweek encounter and then they have a Saturday, April 21, match at Honiton Town. Two days later they are in Monday night action at home to Torridgeside and they bring the curtain down on their season with a Wednesday, April 25, home game against Ilfracombe Town.
- 1 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 2 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 3 March the target for Point to Point racing
- 4 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 5 Remembering the victims of the holocaust
- 6 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 7 The US Open: part two
- 8 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 9 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 10 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax