Axminster Town unbeaten over Easter after four points from two away games
- Credit: Archant
Axminster Town served up a real Easter treat for all their supporters by registering the South West Peninsula League Easter Division’s result of the day on Saturday winning 1-0 at title-chasing Teignmouth Town.
What made the result all the more admirable was that the South Devon side had gone into the meeting unbeaten in nine and had failed to score in just four matches all season!
The only goal of the game came about as a result of a slick counter-attacking move that ended with Adam Cowling scoring the goal and Ben Turner claiming a superb assist with the defence splitting pass that set up the shooting chance.
Thereafter the seasiders did their best to get back on level terms, but found the Tigers, led superbly by their mercurial and seemingly ageless player-boss Gary McCauley whilst left back Leigh Beer, red carded seven days before, having a superb game at left back.
Goalkeeper Brett Garner also covered himself in glory with a number of fine saves.
You may also want to watch:
On Easter Monday the Tigers late season good form continued in a 1-1 draw at Appledore where they were forced to play the final quarter of the contest with ten men after injury ended McCauleys’s afternoon and the Tigers had already used all three substitutes.
Ben Turner scored the Tigers goal.
- 1 Sad passing of Seaton Bowling Club President
- 2 Honiton's new town clerk 'will try to make a difference'
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 Hospiscare charity will hold virtual recruitment fair
- 6 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 7 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 8 Holocaust Memorial Day to be marked in virtual ceremony
- 9 £40,000 to support local groups hit hard by Covid-19 crisis
- 10 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts