Axmouth United held at home by Awliscombe in fine derby match
Axmouth United 2, Awliscombe 2 United extended their unbeaten start to the season to ten games after a well-contested derby game.
The Axes began brightly and were quickly into stride and making the more half chances, but almost went behind when the Awls thought they had taken the lead only for the goal to be ruled out for offside.
With they warning the home side pressed more and a Jake Dack cross was unfortunately headed into his own net by the visitors defender unaware his keeper had come to claim as well!
As the half drew to a close the lead was doubled when Hales calmly slotted he a penalty after Christian Burridge was felled in the box. Right on the stroke of half-time it was almost 3-0 as Ada Sandman cut in from the left and curled a fine effort that beat the keeper only to crash back off the bar.
Awliscombe came out strongly in the second half and started to press Axmouth back. They halved the deficit with a header from a free-kick midway through the half and 10 minutes from the end deservedly levelled with a fine finish giving home keeper Bradley Cross little chance.
You may also want to watch:
United boss Laurie Forino said: “That’s a fair outcome. I felt we did not get that bit of luck and our finishing was off when we were on top. Credit must go to the Awls who I thought were much better after the break and earned the draw. I want this current run to continue for as long as possible.”
On Saturday United travel to North Tawton.
- 1 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 2 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 3 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 4 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 5 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 6 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 7 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 8 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 9 The Parkrun hopeful for the spring
- 10 Virtual start to 2021 season for Axe Valley Runners