Axmouth United’s perfect league start ended at Newtown
Axmouth United’s one hundred percent league start was ended with a 2-0 defeat at Newtown Thirds in Exeter.
Both sides had a 15-minute wait for the match referee to turn up but, once the game got underway it was United who started the brighter.
The home side struck the only goal of the first half, taking advantage of a defensive error.
United battled hard but seemed strangely under-par and certainly a yard off the pace that had been showing in past games. It was noticeable that their recent fluency on the ball was replaced with a plethora of loose passes.
The hosts were reduced to ten men shortly after the re-start and a further five yellow cards were later dished out by the match official!
You may also want to watch:
Twelve minutes from time the ten men scored again to seal victory but again United were the makers of their own downfall with a player caught in possession being punished as the home player ran on to finish well.
Amidst a team of under-performing United players on the day, it was Jake Dack who emerged with the deserved Man of the Match award.
- 1 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 2 Amateur Axminster mountaineers get ready to 'cast some light' on Snowdon
- 3 Patients asked to stay away from Honiton Surgery
- 4 Celebs urged to lead by example and stay away from Devon
- 5 Liz Pole: Whitford celebrates new ultrafast broadband
- 6 Honiton hippo proves huge hit with youngsters
- 7 There's light at the end of the tunnel - but for now embrace lockdown life
- 8 Children’s hospice South West celebrates 30 years
- 9 Lockdown services in Lyme Regis
- 10 Government scraps house building quota in East Devon
United boss Laurie Forino was understandably disappointed to see his sides
winning run ended. He said: “The team once again showed me what tremendous spirit they have amongst them. The home side deserved to win, but we were well below what I consider out best. I’ll certainly be looking for some sort of reaction to this defeat when we once again take on Newtown Thirds on Saturday in a Football Express Cup tie.”