Bad start to 2022 continues for exasperated Beer Albion

Beer Albion dressing room

Beer Albion dressing room - Credit: Beer Albion

After finishing 2021 on a high, the New Year has so far proved fruitless for Beer Albion with both sides being defeated two weeks running writes Richard Honnor.  

The Fishermen’s 1st team were dumped out of the East Devon Senior Cup losing 3-1 away at Elmore 2nd’s, whilst the Reserves were knocked off top spot in Devon and Exeter Division 2 going down 2-1 at home to mid-table Otterton. 

For the second week in a row, Albion 1sts conceded early goals, going 2-0 down after just eight minutes. Elmore went 1-0 ahead on four minutes, as Beer stood off and allowed Elmore’s Burridge to run at their defence unchallenged and score with a deflected shot.  

Four minutes later, the Eagles were 2-0 up when the unmarked Old, in acres of space, headed home after the Fishermen failed to properly clear a corner.  

Beer reduced the arrears on 20 minute with a fine goal from Kieron Daniels. After racing clear, Daniels cleverly slid the ball past the ‘keeper into the net.  

However, any chance for the Fishermen to get back in the game was thrown away when they conceded a needless penalty in the 24th minute, emphatically converted by Old to put Elmore 3-1 ahead. 
Beer suffered a blow when Taylor Rooke had to go off with a thigh injury but the introduction of substitute Jack Harwood, who has been in fine form for the 2nd team, immediately tightened up the defence.  

After the break Beer showed much more determination but failed to test the Elmore keeper and the Eagles were able to hold on for a comfortable victory. To cap a disappointing performance, the Fisherman’s injury woes increased with Josh French and George Harwood having to leave the field early. 

Most Read

Beer Manager Mark Rooke was very disappointed with his side’s performance but one real positive was Jack Harwood’s fine display. 

Beer Albion 2nd’s performance was equally frustrating, going down 2-1 at home to mid-table Otterton. The visitors scored a 90th minute winner to knock the Fishermen off top spot in Division 2 of the Devon and Exeter League.