Beer pull off ‘result of the day’ in Fresha top flight
- Credit: Archant
Beer Albion pulled off one of the surprise results of the day winning 2-1 away at Heavitree on Saturday, writes Richard Honnor.
It was the Fishermen’s third away win in the Premier League this season and was very much down to a fine all-round team performance.
Beer had the better of the first half and deservedly went in front on 25 minutes through a Luke Bartlett header. Bartlett and Richard Walker combined well up front and were always a threat to the Heavies defence.
The Fishermen went further ahead early in the second period, this time Richard Walker heading home on 55 minutes.
Thereafter, Beer’s rear-guard was well marshalled and soaked up pressure from the home side with some great defending until 10 minutes from time when Heavitree reduced the arrears. The Fishermen however survived the Heavies late onslaught to secure the three points.
You may also want to watch:
Hard-working midfielder Ben Vine was Beer’s best performer but this was a splendid team effort with good performances across the park.
The Fishermen will be hoping to continue their winning ways on Easter Saturday when they visit second-placed Honiton Town. Kick off is at 3 pm.
- 1 Runners take on 1,000km challenge in memory of Evelyn Tratt
- 2 Quite a year for a Honiton auctioneers Chilcotts
- 3 Honiton Town Council freezes its share of council tax
- 4 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 5 Honiton mental health initiatives given funding boost
- 6 Devon Young Farmers discuss the challenges of farm succession
- 7 New contractors to roll out fibre broadband across South West
- 8 Football in support of mental health
- 9 Deal struck on Cranbrook town centre
- 10 Devon Air Ambulance team looks back on 2020
The next home game for Beer is the East Devon Senior Cup tie against Hatherleigh Town on Easter Monday (March 28). The sponsor for this game is Chapples Tea Hut, Beer Beach and the kick-off is at 3 pm.