Beer win well at Hatherleigh

Beer Albion away to Exmouth Ammies. Ref shsp 07-17TI 6957. Picture: Terry Ife

Beer Albion away to Exmouth Ammies. Ref shsp 07-17TI 6957. Picture: Terry Ife - Credit: Archant

Beer Albion continued their winning ways and moved into the top half of the Macron League Premier Division table with a convincing 3-0 win at struggling Hatherleigh Town, writes Richard Honnor.

The Fishermen’s current run of success is very much based on solid defence, great team spirit and growing confidence.

All of these attributes were in evidence on the day as the Fishermen were able to soak up pressure from their enterprising opponents fairly comfortably and catch them on the break with direct counter attacks. Hatherleigh had the edge in possession over the whole 90 minutes, but Beer carried the greater goal threat throughout with the home keeper being the busier of the two glovemen.

Hatherleigh started the game positively while Beer were slow to get going. The Fishermen were tested down both flanks with the home side’s skilful left winger Moore and pacey centre forward Wilson causing problems.

Only two clear chances were carved out in the first half however, first on the 29th minute when, after a clearance was charged down, Hatherleigh’s Wilson found himself one-on-one with Beer keeper Matt Rooke, but Rooke smothered his shot at the near post. This prompted an instant response from the Fishermen.

You may also want to watch:

A slick counter attack down the right culminated in a wickedly dipping 25-yard strike from midfielder Shaun Denslow which the home keeper did well to tip onto the underside of the crossbar.

Beer started the second half sluggishly, but Hatherleigh were unable to capitalise. However, the game swung dramatically in the Fishermen’s favour when, after 60 minutes, player-manager Richard Walker decided to introduce himself into the fray.

Most Read

Nine minutes later Beer took the lead when the home keeper misjudged a long clearance and, as the ball bounced over the gloveman’s head, Walker anticipated the error and headed into an empty net.

Hatherleigh came close to equalising a minute later when Wilson headed a well-delivered free-kick narrowly wide.

With Beer midfielders George Harwood and Pedro Fontes pulling the strings, it was no surprise when the lead was doubled on 70 minutes when Harwood’s corner was headed home by striker Luke Bartlett.

Hatherleigh heads visibly dropped at this point and Beer netted a third on 84 minutes when a, in a flowing move, the hard-working Bartlett found Walker on the right with a sweeping pass and Walker squared to Fontes who hit an unstoppable left foot 25-yard strike into the top left-hand corner.

The best player on the day was Beer’s in-form centre-half Andrew Foster who never put a foot wrong in a solid Beer back four.

Beer first team sit out this coming matchday (March 4), but Beer Reserves entertain North Tawton in a Macron League Division Five match at the Furzebrake. Kick off is at 3pm and the match sponsor is ‘Bullet’ Adkin.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus